Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

kelp quilt

i love the ocean…do you think it is due to negative ions created by the wave action along sandy shore lines…cool crisp air…warm sunshine…shells…i love to walk the tide line and see what each tide has washes up…


floating through rafts of bull kelp in my kayak

we have spend several summers kayaking around coastal islands off our coast…the one thing which attracts me time and time again is bull kelp…i like to watch it move with in the water column…its fronds streaming out along the water surface…to just sit still in my kayak and watch the fronds move, is like lying under a palm tree and watching those fronds move in the wind…creates a sense of calm





rafts of bull kelp with "little sail" jellyfish



even when kelp has washes up and is left on stranded on the sand it lays there just as the water left it when it receded…still one can see the movement and imagine that kelp riding the waves which bring it up and strand that kelp in the sand.

i have little drawings in my sketchbooks of bull kelp and am ready to start a table runner based on these sketches... i think the hardest task will be to capture bull kelp frond movement…to translate the 3 dimensional movement into 2 dimensions 

 
                              
older sketches from several years    

              

 more recent sketches from this year

 
 drawing from my sketchbook

4 comments:

Camilla said...

This is so inspiring! Look forward to seeing what you create. I like kayaking around the coast here in NZ too, looks like a different sort of shore but we share that peaceful enjoyment! Beautiful photographs! I'm off to look around the rest of your blog now!

HollyM said...

I love your drawings! They do capture the lovely undulations of the kelp. We kayak as well here on the east coast and I often observe the kelp.
I'd love to see how you translate it to fabric.

Threadpainter said...

I am very glad that I checked on The Needle and Thread Network WIP Wednesday today ! I am not near an ocean and just love your photos of kelp and the drawings you've done ... lovely !

Brandy Pettit said...

Wow! What neat inspiration, the only thing is jellies give me the willies, LOL! But I love your kelp drawings, they are gorgeous. I popped over to check out your Christmas quilt from WIP Wednesday, so glad I did.

~Brandy
pamperedpettit.blogspot.com
brandizzle7133 at gmail dot com