Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

russian inspired dolls

a while back i started working on a new design…i had a vision of a quilt with little Russian nesting dolls in rows across the quilt…i ordered some Kona solids from Sew Sisters a online quilt store here in Canada…i have lots of fabrics in my stash…i love fat quarters as it gives me a vast array of fabrics…but i did not have any solids…solids had never really landed a direct hit although they had crossed my radar…suddenly i knew i needed to have solids as well as prints for making my little dollies…out came my fabrics… i did buy a few new pieces of fabrics that seemed like they would make good dress fronts or scarves…out came the design and i set to work…i cut out all 20 background blocks…cut out all 20 dresses and 20 scarves…i used a fusible adhesive to attach my scarves to their backgrounds…this is where my story takes a sharp left into the ditch…it hit the ditch hard in the middle of the night when i woke up and realized i had not put hair on any of their faces and it should have gone under the scarf which was now fixed down with fusible web…OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   so now my whole quilt came to a stop… many many many months later i tried to peel one of those stuck down scarves back and put a little black piece of hair under it…well i could do it but it left the edge frayed and ugly… back to the UFO pile it all went…last week i went out to visit a friend…that visit left me full of inspiration…home i came and set to work…

 OMG no hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now what

i used bias bars to make little bias stripes to cover where i put the hair over the edge of the scarf…

now all the parts are here 

using Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It i attached a bias stripe around each edge of my doll face…dried the glue with my iron and then stitched them down on the edges…

the bias strips glued down but still in need of topstitching

enter the yo-yos…i am really loving yo-yos as of late…last summer i made quite a few yo-yos in different sizes...i have my hands firmly on the sides of the yo-yo vortex to keep me from being sucked right in…although at times i feel like i am loosing my grip as i have visions of other quilt designs with yo-yos


some of the 400 plus yo-yos i made last summer

i had made them with the idea of using them in my quilts…i knew they would make for great decoration on my little dollies…

some yo-yos stitched down, looking more finished

much better! hair and some decoration…even some little red cheeks



10 comments:

Annerose said...

You're the best problem solver. Very cool. Your friend.

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Looking good girl! These are so cute.

What Comes Next? said...

Great save Sherry! They look very cute - can't wait to see your finish on this one!

quiltmusings said...

That's a really cute way to them!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

these dolls ar very cute

kendi modaniz said...

nice blog kadın giyim,elbise,abiye,kıyafet, tunik,kolye,bayan giyim,etek,uzun elbise,
moda kıyafet,marka giyim,trend,gömlek,tunik,şifon elbise, tunik,otantik kolye,triko,takı aksesuar,takı,gümüş küpe,günlük elbise,tozlu giyim,sexi iç giyim,sexi çamaşır,
fantezi kıyafet,fantezi iç çamaşır,hırka,yüzük,armine eşarp,gümüş takı,bluz,bayan gömlek,altın takı, ekose etek,bayan kazak,erkek kazak,siyah kazak,külot,sütyen,askılı sütyen,
gümüş kolye,altın kolye,sexy çamaşır,sexy iç giyim,sexy giyim,

Ruth said...

Great solution, adds an extra cuteness to them too!

Seams French said...

What an inspired idea! I think that the bias edging around the scarf adds a perfect finishing touch to your dolls, which I seriously love, by the way. Great colour choices.

Chris said...

ingenious

Anonymous said...

Sherry your creativity never ceases to amaze me. I love this!