Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

christmas is around the corner people

i am not one who sews much for christmas but this year i have been working on tree skirt…well that was not what this piece started it's life out as…i originally planned to use it as a wall hanging but it just was not working how my brain visualized it…so a new life was born….guess what... it is now tree skirt..i have needed a more modern updated version of a tree skirt for sometime now…so here we go
getting to watch the northern lights is one of life's wonders…they dance and move across the sky…the design of this now tree skirt came to me while i laid on my back wrapped in my quilt and watched them one winter night…the trees surrounding my yard give my this view…the tops surround me…creating on circle around the light show...
ah the movement of dance…and the colours of trees…create a cool but not cold feeling

next is to cut the slit in and a circle from the middle…then comes more fun sandwiching and quilting it…then it will be ready for binding…hand stitching on a cold winter evening with mint tea and music…ahhhhh there are some truly wonderful things about cold long winters

12 comments:

Megan Lang said...

This is super cool! I love the colors and the design. The hardest part for me is making the cut and the hole for the tree. Enjoy finishing this beauty.

What Comes Next? said...

this is beautiful Sherry!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Sherry this is gorgeous. Love the look of northern lights, its a great new addition to Christmas.

Mary Ann said...

I love it! It's beautiful:)

Hilary Florence said...

Lovely story and lovely result. The design of the trees is great, the colours work so well together and I like the idea of having something a bit unique and unusual for Christmas.
Now I will make you laugh. Coming for the UK, I first met a Christmas skirt in a US blog last year. The blogger did not explain that a Christmas skirt is for a tree, and never having met the concept before, I thought it must be a skirt for her to wear at Christmas. I thought it would be rather thick and uncomfortable - but I was seriously worried by the size of her waist!!!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

hat a neat tree skirt...love it!!!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Beautiful design, and I especially love the plaid fabric you used for some of the trees!

Marly said...

Beautiful. Trees or Northern Lights. or both. This is something to think about. I wouldn't want to cut into it. it's much too beautiful as it is. Why does a tree need a skirt, anyway?

ANNE said...

I love the colours,so rich!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This looks amazing and will make a great tree skirt but it would have also made a great wall quilt.

Monica said...

Love your Northern lights, Sherry! They are something I'd like to attempt to represent some day as well. Great job1

France Nadeau ❅ inspiration imagination creation said...

That's an unusual way to make a tree skirt, but creative processes often don't follow any rule. And the result here is quite stunning! I love it!