Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

controlling that binding

 i go and buy border and binding fabrics and then put them in my sewing room...sometimes they do not surface for several months or more...so i have been trying to take that fabric home and then cut it up right away so it is sitting ready to go...controlling that binding has always been a hassle... it is long and always on the floor...one fine day i had a aha moment while i was visiting my friend who has 2 long arms...all those empty cones...there must be a use for them...aha! i took a few home...i sprayed a small burst of spray glue on the cone and then wound my binding around it...
binding wound and ready to go...
next i put it on the upright stack wound spool holder on my machine
here it is already to go...


 very easy to control...not on the floor...not under the wheels of my chair...tidy and clean...
i just pull the amount i want to sew...no more wrapped around my neck, chair and sewing machine...loving this way of controlling my binding while sewing 

21 comments:

Mihaela said...

What a great idea!
Thank you very much for sharing it!

Marelize Ries said...

Very clever idea!

Carla said...

Good idea. Under the chair wheels is a nuisance....

Lin said...

Brilliant!

stitchinggrandma said...

Genius....I have been winding on cardboard tubes; like the heavy one inside the foil roll. My Janome has a sideways thread spool, but I do have a secondary thread peg for double needle, so I am going to have a look in my attachment box and see where it goes on. I save all my odd bits of binding on the cardboard tubes, and find it useful for other projects.

Becca said...

I'll admit, I came to look at this one for two reasons. One, was the absolutely brilliant way to control the binding. Two, you took such a great picture of your Pfaff and I had to come look at that, too. Thanks for a great share! I'm going to have to try to use one of my spools for embroidery thread.

A Quilter's Mission said...

Seems simple, but I would have never thought of that one. So clever.

made by ChrissieD said...

Smashing idea :D

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Great idea Sherry!

Michal Woodruff said...

Wow. Really? Now that is a clever idea. Why didn't I ever think of this. So glad I stumbled on this idea as binding is in the works. :) happy quilting!

Nilya said...

haha, great way to sew the binding!

Ashleigh @ Rocks and Chickens said...

What a clever idea! Thanks for sharing!

I have to admit, I initially mis-read your comment about your friend's long arm (machine) and was wondering about the relevance of a friend having very long arms! LOL. It's going to be one of those days I see. ;)

Happy sewing!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Super smart idea!

Sara said...

When there's a will, there's a way and you did it! Good job!!

Mary Ann said...

I agree....brilliant:)

Marla's Crafts said...

Very good idea. Mine is always laying on the floor. It would keep it a lot cleaner. Love those bloggs with great ideas. Thanks

Cathy said...

Great idea!

Regina said...

Seems like a great idea - I have a cone somewhere that I never find when preparing binding, so I still use the salad-bowl-on-the-floor-plucking-the-kitten-out-of-it method...

Geta Grama said...

this is pure genius!

Sew Sisters Quilt Shop said...

Genius! Very cool idea!
Carol

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Sherry I LOVE this idea -- do you mind if I mention it in a future blog post for my readers ?

For those of us that have strugged with our binding over the shoulder, on the floor, all tangled up -- this is fantastic!

Thanks,
Karen