Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

upcycling a table

i love second hand stores...must be a memory of my childhood...my Uncle Clarence had a secondhand store...we hung out there lots... the smell of oiled board floors still lingers in the far reaches of my brain...as of late i have been haunting them again...
 i found this great little oriental inspired table...i love the look of it but i am striving for a more fresh look in my house...
 i love the look of old cutwork table pieces...so i set out to quilt it...inspired by Cindy Needham...using of course my favourite Aurifil thread
 at work on the piece
close up view of the quilted piece 
i then removed the top of table...spray painted it white...sanded it so the black shows through giving it a distressed look...and reattached the table top to the legs
here is the final piece hanging out with my pink chair, my "sky horses" quilt and some floral china pieces...looking more like something from my grandmother's house then from the orient...the whole process took about 2 days to complete..

6 comments:

elle said...

Quilted cutwork! Great idea and what a very cool vignette!

heartsease54 said...

This is just beautiful and what a wonderful way to use a beautiful old piece of needlework. Much better than folded away in a chest or drawer.

Ivory Spring said...

What a beautiful setting you had set with your work!

SewingJanice said...

Love it! What an inspiration - now to find my stash of my Grandmothers cut work scarves! Thanks!!

Marls said...

WOW what a transformation to the table. The quilted cutwork is amazing. Did you just quilt it onto a backing fabric, but without batting?

Lin said...

That is stunning!!! What a fabulous idea and I am drooling over the chair too!