Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

New lizard quilt gets underway

so it is a bit unusual to start a quilt by sorting out the sashing before actually making the blocks but that is just what I have done...I originally started out with thinking I would have a six inch block in between the blocks but gave up in that idea...I then settled on making circles for the sashing and when I visualized it it my mind the sashing just seemed to large at 6" so I cut it down to 4"... 
 
I like the smaller sized sashing rather then the wider this will allow the lizards more of the stage...I originally just drew this concept out on scrap paper during a quiet moment in ER...yes it does happen although rarely

The original design with a cutting layout beside it...excited to get this quilt going as I have been spending long hours cleaning out behind all the sheds on this farm...way to much stuff...hoping my new allure will be along soon and then I really will be quilting

9 comments:

elle said...

looks complicated! I'd mess up something but you look like you have the plan well in hand. Stuff! :(

Pam Pollock said...

Love the sashing. Great colours!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Nice to be able to plan something so well...anxious to see more

Peg said...

Hmmm....intriguing. All those circles, can't wait to see what yo do with the lizards!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Looks interesting!

Lyanna L. said...

Love the circles!! =)

Margaret said...

I'm with elle; it looks complicated. :-) I like the circles -- you appliqued them to that fabric, right? Wow! I've done some of that recently but can't imagine doing a large piece (like a border) full of circles. Just not that ambitious, I guess!

Regina said...

Great way to start a quilt, a bit like designing a top around a special zipper.

Kitchener Quilter said...

Love your approach with the sashing first. I'm sure you'll fill those blocks beautifully. And your notes drawn out on paper look like my sketchbook. I draw whatever comes into my head, and make a few notes, all in pencil. Then I start working out dimensions and cutting plans. Thanks for posting.