Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

necessity is the mother of invention

necessity is the mother of invention...today i was using holographic thread to FMG some detail on the lizards of my quilt...all was going fine until i tried to use the threads my friend bought for me from superior threads when we were at quilt festival in houston, texas in nov 2012...the small sulky spools fit just great on this little thread holder and sits behind my machine...to get the holographic thread to run flat and not twisted it is better if it unwinds in the horizontal position behind the machine...
 this is the little spool holder Monica gave me just last week...works really well with sulky spools but not at all with the larger superior threads spools...
so i headed to my husband's workshop to see what i could find...not really wanting to start drilling holes and cutting up wood i decided i would just head back inside and have lunch...i figured all i really needed was a small dowel and something to hold it...while preparing lunch i had a brain wave...
here is what i came up with two apples and stick used to make suckers... the apples have held up well all day and it did not take any time to make...hahahaha...i will have to make something more permanent tho

7 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Your invention made my day! Also love that little wooden thread holder. Looks like an antique? Looking forward to seeing your lizard quilt at its completion.

Annerose said...

Hahaha...you are so cool!
Innovation is us...

Can't Stop Stitchin said...

Oh my ... Laugh out loud funny! I LOVE IT! And love seeing what we quilters do to get in our sewing space and quilt. I will remember your idea, and know I will give it a try with some threads that give me trouble and don't work on my thread spools!
Thanks for sharing
Godspeed,
mary

Mary Ann said...

Ha Ha.....and you have a healthy snack when your finished:)

Kearstie Grenier said...

Great out-of-the-box thinking! Makes me think my kids' old tinker toys would be great for building something similar. (They're 31 and 25 now, so I don't think they'd miss them...)

jansmusingagain said...

Love your thinking, you are definitely onto something here...roflmso

stitchinggrandma said...

GENIOUS !!!