Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

once in blue lizard is getting it together

don't ask where the name of this quilt came from...just popped into my head as i was working...started this quilt about one month ago while working on the free motion quilting of "farm horses"...i needed as break from quilting...so i did what i usually do when starting a quilt... i just start often without to much planning...i just drew the lizard... then and cut it out and put it on the design wall...
 sewn together...OMG don't ever do it this way...i sewed the lizards on blocks and then arranged the lizards how i wanted them...i then filled in between the blocks...this has left me with many bias seams and a quilt not square and super hard to square up...well it is not possible to square...many moments of pain...ouch..ouch ouch...maybe just starting out without a plan is not always the best way to go...
a moment of frustration...the quilt in a heap....

i cut a border with a wave...marked and turned under a 1/4 inch...starched it...ready to go

i finally figured out that i would just lay the borders on the floor and make sure they were squared and then sew them on over lapping the edges of the quilt...used monoploy and a hem stitch...seems to have worked so far but tomorrow is a new day and i need to put on the final three borders and quilt it yet...time will tell..
getting happier with the way it is looking...sorry about the poor colour...need to learn better photography skills

16 comments:

Lucy @ Charm About You said...

It looks like a fun quilt and the borders are a great solution to make it square!!
p.s. I use picmonkey sometimes to enhance my pictures when I'm not happy with them - it's a great site that's easy to use :)

Patti said...

O Sherry! I love your lizards so much! This will be an amazing quilt. I was just reading this week that some quilters are occasionally not squaring up their quilts, leaving them squiggley! I like that idea, and my give it a try.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Sherry I think you did an amazing job on the lizards. You did do it the hard way for sure, but it looks wonderful. I can't imagine stitching all of those little skinny lizards....lol....Anxious to see it quilted.,

Sam said...

I totally love those lizards... I think I may have typed this before. Anyhow, did you turn the edges of those lizards? How did you attach them to the blocks?

Linda said...

Your lizards are amazing! I love them so much. Your border looks great.

Susan Being Snippy said...

Aw, yes, the newest thing, go with the flow, let the blocks hang out as they may! I love the lizards, your style is emerging in all your work, soon you will be recognizable through your art!

Mrs.Pickles said...

how cute!! wonderful work

Pat said...

Leaping lizards, I just LOVE them!

rtquilter said...

LOVE those lizards, you are a patient woman

Caroline Heinrichs said...

Sherry these are whimisical and must have taken a while cutting them all out? Cricut doesn't have a cutter for these yet!
Enjoying your progress!

April said...

Your quilts are just so awesome. :) I LOVE the lizards!

Mary Ann said...

I love those lizards:)It's going to be amazing.

LynCC said...

Neato!! Well worth the frustration. I love the swirlies added in - they really add a lot of character to those already-super-cool lizards. :D

Patchwork DailyDesire said...

Nice, nice, work!!
Love the quilt name, too: because your quilt is unique!!

Regina said...

The difficulties you had with your unconventional approach are worth it since your quilt top is fantastic, much more organic than if pieced by blocks.

StitchinByTheLake said...

It might not be square but those lizards are darling! blessings, marlene