Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

lizard pillow block

after putting together my "once in a blue lizard" i was left with one  block i could not work into the quilt...i decided to use it as a practice block for quilting...now i like it enough that i am going to turn it into a pillow case for one of my nieces...it should make a nice christmas present as i made pillowcases with horse designs for ella and abby...so lola will get the lizard...
this is a design i adapted from photos i took of tree branches for the bonus tutorial taught by Susan Brubaker Knapp for the FMQ challenge sponsored by SewCalGal...this is the design i am going to use to quilt "once in a blue lizard" which is at my friend who will baste it on the long arm...this will hopefully help to keep it as square as possible
i quilted branches and then quilted pebbles between the branches...i call it twigs and stones...easy for me to do as i have studied trees quite a bit...
i have to add borders and then it will be ready to turn it into a pillowcase...the borders i will add with the quilt as you go method...so the entire front of the pillowcase is quilted...

15 comments:

straythreads said...

Beautiful quilting!! perfect for the blue lizard
Ann

felicity said...

Perfect choice of quilting! It looks wonderful!

Catherine said...

That looks amazing! I'm so impressed at how beautifully you've sewn something which must be very fiddly:-)

Ariane said...

It looks great!! I love it!!

April said...

wow! your fm quilting is really wonderful. love the design.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I just love it!! I have admired your lizards from day 1. Love the quilting you did!

Sheila said...

Beautiful quilting on your lizard pillow , really makes that lizard pop!

diannajessie said...

Wow, Your lizard is amazing - I like your story about what inspired you too, thanks for sharing:)

Shannon said...

I love the tree branch quilting motif, particularly where you left some places open and pebbled in others. Too cute!

Magpie Quilts said...

Love your lizard and your quilting is perfect around it!

applepiepatchwork said...

I love the free motion work that you've done on this! I definitely see the twigs.

beaniekins84(at)gmail(dot)com

Kit Lang said...

Great idea to turn it into a sham! :)

moonlightsewing said...

Excellent quilting! FMQ is definitely not something I excel at! And the lizard is wonderful!

wannabequilter.com said...

WOW!

Regina said...

Great quilting around that beautiful lizard. Lucky Lola!