Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

sky horses quilt is finished

i started this quilt last september at a quilt retreat...boy it has been a long haul on this quilt...the design came from drawings i did initially in my sketchbook several years ago...the concept of the horses has evolved through a few versions...like most of the work that i do... there seems to be a series of drawings that find their way into different mediums before i have exhausted the concept and move on to another idea...sky horses and farm horses are part of this concept...and i know i am not finished yet with these horses...you will see at least 2-3 more quilts before i finish with the horse theme.. 

 sky horses finished and hanging in the trees...100% cotton fabrics were used... i free motion raw edge appliqued the horses to the background fabrics...all the wonky flying geese were drawn to scale and the then paper pieced in sections to fit...the geese fly in different directions because i tried to get them so none flew off the edge but that was not always possible...the background fabrics are darks while the horses are mostly in lights....with their bodies in mediums...this was not always successful either...


 this photo is more true to colour...i used wool batting as i like the puffiness that it brings to the quilt...as well the light weight of wool and the warmth is also something i am looking for...this quilt was made to be used...thread was aurifil 100% cotton 50/2 thread...my favorite thread to use...strong, great colour, sits more into the fabric rather then on top


 the back was pieced out large scale florals...this is not my favorite back...i started making my backs several quilts ago when i looked at the fabric i was accumulating and decided that i needed to use it up rather then just collect it...although i love the look of all my fabrics stored by colour on the shelves...there is just so much fabric i can have and still feel in control...


 blowing is the summer breeze...yes it is finally summer here in the central interior of BC...i love the quilt hanging from the trees of the boreal forest surrounding my home...



 blowing in the summer breeze...i have used this quilt on our bed the last severals night as even though it is warm during the night...temperatures at night are dropping into the single digits...two days ago there was frost yes frost on my bar-b-que





some of the individual blocks....





a good example of the quilting...thanx to http://sewcalgal.blogspot.ca/p/free-motion-quilt-challenge.html
 for the free motion quilting challenge...i have been getting better at free motion quilting...used the loop de loop 








   







  

11 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love it! Also like your hanging system for photographing in the forest. Would love to see some more close-ups of the system if you have them.

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

LOVE!!! WOW!!! You did a fantastic job - what an awesome quilt!!! I can clearly see all the love you put into this quilt!

What Comes Next? said...

I love this quilt Sherry! All those wonderful shapes of your horses must have been fun(to say the least!) to raw edge applique. The quilt looks wonderful hanging in the trees, and I bet it looks great on the bed. Summer has arrived here now too! Yay!

Heather said...

It's gorgeous! I'm doing the same free motion quilting challenge with SewCalGal. How exciting to see your FMQ!

Borderline Quilter said...

Well....of course I love this quilt....a horse quilt is in my future too somewhere???

Yours looks fabulous blowing in the breeze, I love your ideas for the manes and tails!

Best Wishes
Kay in Scotland

LynCC said...

Sherry, this is absolutely amazing! I love the color, the movement, everything. :)

alwaysquilting said...

Wow! What a creative quilter. The designs and the colours dance (fly)across the quilt.

Vivian Helena said...

Love your horses... so bright and cheery.

Stella Nemeth said...

Just amazing! How very beautiful. And I need to make some of my own quilt backs too. And who knows, I just might.

Hillbilly Tonya said...

Absolutely Wonderful!!! I wish I was good at free motion applique. I really am not at all!

Mary Ann said...

Stunning...just beautiful:)