Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

july free motion quilting challenge


july is almost gone...already the vegetation is changing...colours are different...the siberian iris has bloomed and the seeds pods are ripening...the peony has finished...soon the late lilies will open...summer here is the central interior of british columbia is short and fleeting...hard to actually get a hold of... it moves so fast...the month has been spent on quilting my farm horses quilt... nearly finished...should have photos up next week...hope to get the binding on it in the next several days...so i have been doing lots of free motion quilting...i did take a break from the quilt and work on the challenge for july...i did find this month more of a challenge then previous months...a bit of disequilibrium for sure





stitched with aurifil 50 wt in a nice brilliant orange my daughter brought me when she came to visit for the week...used that railroad track motif for leah day's tutorial...i used a ruler beside my foot to try and get the lines between the tiles even...almost made it


stitched with white aurifil...to much texture and movement in the background fabric to really see the stitching...more attracted to solid colours these days...getting over my batik craze

7 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Using the ruler really worked well for you - your sample looks wonderful! I think a lot of us experienced some disequilibrium with this one - and it looked so darn simple LOL! I should know better by now ... Remember so well the fleeting summers in southcentral Alaska - the last summer we were there the ground was frozen on Memorial Day weekend! August = blueberry picking at Denali State Park, late August highbush cranberries and a few currants (if you were lucky), Labor Day "termination dust" on the upper slopes of the Chugach Mtns, and first couple weeks of Sept. lowbush cranberries ripe and fall was definitely there for a short stay until winter set in. Can't say these old bones miss the fleeting summers and long cold winters one bit.

LynCC said...

That is a really funky-cool quilting pattern. Love the effect on the solid!

Rosemary said...

I love your free motion sample. I never even thought of using the railroad track motif. I used a ruler to make straighter lines and tried to get them even but not sure I did that well. I feel the ruler was a help. I'm not into batiks like I used to be either. There is some great fabric out there. Too much to choose from!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

I think that this is very educational for all of us. Love this "practice piece", enjoying your posts.

Quilter Kathy said...

I think it looks terrific! That is a hard design to make in a smaller space.

Angela Walters said...

Great job!!! I love the filler and that orange thread! So fun!!

Connie said...

Looks great! Using a ruler is a good idea, my lines are too wiggly.